Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Reflection

After reading dozens of confessional poems, I feel that I have truly grasped the essence of this art.  Since these poems are direct insights into the poets’ lives, it believe I am more in touch with their intentions.  Feeling such closeness to an artist allows you to appreciate their work at a far greater extent.  For example, when reading "Words" I truly connected with Anne Sexton’s emotions at the time she wrote it.  

Having found a hypersensitivity to poets’ emotions has also helped me become aware of their treatment of language.  It is now clear for me to see slight variations in diction, syntax, and more specific poetic tools such as line breaks, and how these choices can affect the overall meaning of the poem.

Imagery, simile and metaphors were fairly common in the confessional poetry that I read.  I read many poems that had a deeper meaning than what was directly said.  I really enjoyed Anne Sexton's metaphors, and deciphering the meaning behind what she was actually saying.  

The Poems I read are:

-“Words” by Anne Sexton

-“Searching,” by Robert Lowell

-“Daddy,” by Sylvia Plath

-“All My Pretty Ones,” by Anne Sexton

-“The Starry Night,” by Anne Sexton

-“Lady Lazarus,” by Sylvia Plath

-“Sleep in the Mojave Desert,” by Sylvia Plath

-“Mr. Edwards and the Spider,” by Robert Lowell

-“Wanting to Die,” by Anne Sexton

-“The Moss of His Skin,” by Anne Sexton

-“Dream Song 1,” by John Berryman

-and “Central Park, by Robert Lowell

No comments:

Post a Comment